Friday, February 24, 2012

Book Review: Intangible by J. Meyers


  Intangible is the first book from author J. Meyers, and a strong start to a new paranormal series.
Cover Blurb:
Twins Sera and Luke Raine have a well-kept secret--she heals with a touch of her hand, he sees the future. All their lives they've helped those in need on the sly. They've always thought of their abilities as being a gift.
   Then Luke has a vision that Sera is killed. That gift they've always cherishes begins to feel an awful lot like a curse. Because the thing about Luke's ability? He's always right.
    And he can't do anything about it.


There are hundreds of paranormal romance book filling up the shelves at the library near my home, and most of them follow the same specific story formula: girl has gift, girl finds hot guy, she is introduced to paranormal world, hot guy will waste away entirely if he can't have her, and so on. With this is mind I was a bit apprehensive when starting Intangible, but, happily, I found it refreshingly different.
       Sera and Luke were very likable. They weren't self-centered and actively looked for those who could use their help. And though they were similar as twins are, each had very distinct personality that interacted well with the other. Marc (Sera's romantic Interest) also was definitive, if not as much so. I could read his conflicting emotions, and ultimately how his experiences made him who he was. The other characters, such as Fey and Jonas, were fun, and I look forward to seeing them is future books.
Characters: 4.5 Stars
       Overall this was a nicely satisfying read. Time wasn't wasted between scenes, and there weren't inconsistencies with the gifts that Sera and Luke possessed. The story was unique and led me on with hints and ideas, until, in the aftermath of the climax, almost everything was revealed. And then in the final scene, that security was blown away, leaving me gasping for the sequel! Which, unfortunately, isn't. Out. Yet. *sigh*
Characters: 4.3
       I really enjoyed the lack of cliches in Intangible, and the replacement descriptions felt natural and flowing. The style was straightforward and clear. Often when I picture a scene from a book it's a bit blurry around the edges, but many of the scenes from Intangible I could picture as realistically as if from a movie.
Style: 4 Stars

Rating: 4.3
Source: From author for review
Genre: Paranormal Romance
YA Fiction

Author Info: J. Meyers
Website- J. Meyers Books
Twitter- @jmeyersbooks

2 comments:

  1. great review! I actually got this book from the author as well but haven't found time to get to it yet. I'm a little apprehensive about the cliches and same formula as others too, but now that I read this, I will have to make the time soon!


    Ning @ Reading by Kindle Fire

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got this for review so now, I can't wait to read it!
    Janiera @This is From my Heart

    ReplyDelete